Saturday, April 18, 2009

New way of thinking

I have decided to try being a vegetarian. This decision came rather quickly as I was talking to a new friend about PETA. They recently asked the band The PetShop Boys to change their name to Rescue Shelter Boys, ha. 

This topic lead to the fact that PETA really doesn't care about the name of the band they just want the press. Press leads to awareness of their cause. People in turn visit the website and watch the awful videos. I watched them a year ago and after that decided only free range organic chicken eggs for me. Also, I started buying organic non-commercial dairy farm milk. 
I started to defend why I eat meat and the only real reason I had was : I like it! Good enough for me but I started thinking... why not? Why not not eat meat? I think I will try it.
I am not going to become vegan, I will still eat cheese but I am cutting out chicken, eggs, beef, pork, and maybe fish. My friend says he tries to not eat anything with eyes, so that leaves out fish. I am not sure I can be that hard core but we will see. (ha)

Today I went shopping for my new way of eating. It is different indeed. There are a lot of replacement meat products. I did not get them this time around as I really want to see if I crave meat first. I did get soymilk to try. I am not cutting out dairy but thought this would be a good time to try it out. I stocked up on veggies, rice, black beans, fruits, almonds and feta cheese. I only bought enough for the week that way nothing goes bad before I can use it. If you have any vegetarian recipes let me know. 

5 comments:

  1. GAY! Chicago will welcome you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey You!! Play nice...
    You wanna hang at the beach this summer right? Well this will def help with my decision to build sand castles. Plus and most importantly, I am showing some mad love for my little furry friends. Have you watched any of the vids.. You can't not want to make even a few small changes. Even if it is only deciding to purchase organic family farm products. They don't deserve that kind of treatment. Just ain't right, YO!
    So far I am really enjoying:
    Silk- Vanilla Soy Milk - super yummy
    black beans cooked with tomatoes/chili/onions, rice with chucks of avocado.
    Pita chips and hummus.
    I will admit the challenge will be eating out. That will take place tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. first of all, thanks for the invite.

    and for 2, yep, i actually have something lined up here... i love furry/feathery/scaly animals. i also dont have a problem with them ending up in my belly. as for the cruelty animals endure while being bread for dinner plates, i say making a little Yorkshire Terrier wear a Hawkeye sweater and eat 3 day old Kibbles and bits is equally cruel.

    and You know What! else - soy products increase the estrogen levels in your body (FF) i dont think you need any more hormones.

    i'm not saying anything, i'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA!! this actually made me laugh out loud. Point for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and i didnt even talk about BACON!

    i think we all can agree that it is pretty much the most tasty thing you can put inside your mouth.

    (i know your giggling)

    but don't worry, i am all for free range foods, the best bacon comes from pot bellied pigs, i only eat it if it could be someone's pet.

    ReplyDelete