Sunday, May 3, 2009

Hi! I'm Shannon...

I got the opportunity to say that a lot last night... to the following people:

Brendon - Bartender at the Mill Town. He runs the bar and provided me with great conversation about local artist and beer selection. I had a few really great Belgian beers. 
*also had an amazing grilled cheese on sourdough with avocado and tomato. mmmm!

Ari- Singer/Songwriter in Lost in Trees. Funny story: I was talking to Brendon about local bands that I have seen recently. I mentioned I caught a show that surprised me... The band was Lost in Trees.. He smiled and pointed to a tall skinny server and said.. That is Lost in Trees, that guy. On my way out, I made sure to say Hi and that I liked his music. 
Backstory:  I am a big fan of The Never I have talked about these guys before, they put out a story book album, Antartica. (listen to Cavity and The Witch) I saw them live and was disappointed, after some research on the web, I found out Ari (Lost in Trees) pretty much wrote the Antartica album. Lost in Trees is one of my favorite local bands and a bonus is he is super nice as well.

Sara- Tim's (Cursive) fiance. She is a super nice gal we had a few wonderful chats. She recommends I move back to the midwest. She on the other hand wants to be in NYC. They are getting married in Omaha in October. Beautiful ring. 

Tim Kasher- The lead singer in Cursive. I am a big fan of their stuff. He is very approachable, in fact I told him I was from Des Moines, IA. He gave he a Hi-5. That is wicked cool in my book. He thinks DSM is a great town and said he always enjoys himself when he goes there.   

Kevin Devine- Singer/songwriter He was playing the Local 506. I would have gone if Cursive was not also playing. He walked in after they played. I said "Hey Kevin Devine" as he past by me... Then said " I am real sorry I couldn't make your show tonight, but I have been feeling home sick and what else makes you feel like home but Cursive"  He is really laid back and extremely friendly, funny as well.  Listen to the first song "I could be with anyone" It's one of my personal favorites.

Honus (not his real name I am sure) This is the lead singer of MAN MAN
First off his handlebar was kick butt! He actually approached me and asked for a hug. SURE!! This guys have a very interesting sound. I think they are better appreciated live. They had toy cats on stage that moved in a almost too realistic manner. They are playing 80/35 .. so I will be able to see them again (since Matt is playing that too) 

Whew... I think that is it. I had a great day. Found some awesome vintage dresses at Father and Sons (downtown Raleigh) got my hair dyed, nails done... walked around Chapel Hill hung out on campus while eating ice cream plus the weather was beautiful. All in all this day put a much needed SMILE on my face.

2 comments:

  1. that sounds like an epic night.
    congrats!

    and i'm jealous about the cursive interaction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, the whole day was magical!!
    It's funny how for so many years they lived in my back yard and I meet them in NC the first time I have seen them play here. I have learned to increase the chances of meeting band members...go to the bar/grill right by the venue. They love food and beer, heck, who doesn't!

    ReplyDelete