Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Man it's chilly, Stayin in, Where's the wine?

A few months back I read one of my favorite books ever. Love is a Mixtape by Rob Sheffield. Seriously this book made me laugh out loud and cry .. really cry. There is a guy out there that loves mucic and gives 120% of himself to a girl, one girl- Renee. Here are a few passages I enjoyed.

"When we die, we will turn into songs, and we will hear each other and remember each other."

It’s the same with people who say, ‘Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.’ Even people who say this must realize that the exact opposite is true. What doesn’t kill you maims you, cripples you, leaves you weak, makes you whiny and full of yourself at the same time. The more pain, the more pompous you get. Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you incredibly annoying."

"When you stick a song on a tape, you set it free."

"But the answer is simple. Love is a mix tape."

"I had no voice to talk with because she was my whole language."

it turned out we had the same favorite Big Star song – the acoustic ballad Thirteen. She’d never heard their third album, Sister Lovers. So naturally, I told her the same thing I’d told every other woman I’d ever fallen for: “I’ll make you a tape!""
(I love this moment in the book and in my life. Its happened just a few times but its one of my best memories!)

"There are all kinds of mix tapes. there is always a reason to make one.
"

And so..., I am making another mixtape for a new friend. I think this is the best way to get to know someone. I've had 4 people make me a mix in my 28 years, 3 of whom I fancied at one time or another. I on the other had make mixes for many different reasons, I don't have to always fancy em .. but it is more fun when I do.

Here is what I got so far. I'm going for the "man it's chilly, stayin in, where's the wine?" Still working on the art... I might recycle the mixtape drawing I did last time. It was pretty sweet.

My Little Corner of the World - Yo La Tengo
Blue Arrangements- Silver Jews
Treacherous Ways- Pseudosix
She Can't Change- Neva Dinova
The Weight of Lies- The Avett Brothers
My Girlfriend's Boyfriend- Her Space Holiday
Zurich is Stained- Pavement
Mayday-Flobots
Sometimes- My Bloody Valentine
A Good Start- Maria Taylor
New Partner- Palace Music
Resurrection Fern- Iron & Wine
Where Have You Been- The Manchester Orchestra
Water From The Same Source-Rachel's *my #1 favorite song of all time.


Update: I stayed with the tape pic. Here it is.

1 comment:

  1. love the image... and brown paper bags = best cd case ever.

    i too love the mixtape and am eager to read that book!!

    ReplyDelete