Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Decemberist




To be completely honest.... I had not listened to the new album before the show. You could image my sadness when they played the album from start to finish without talking or taking a break. After they played the whole album, to my surprise they took a short intermission and came back for a full set and encore. Not only was I able to experience a rock-opera complete with amazing stage presence.. I got to rush down to the floor and rock/sing/dance along to my favorite songs.

A few months ago, I saw Death Cab in a similar venue. I left feeling a bit short changed. Yes it was nice to hear my favorite songs but there was no ... no.. excitement to the performance. The Decemberists gave a great example of how to rock a theater and ensure that everyone had a great time. The set was full of audience interaction, tom foolery, getting little kids from the audience to play their guitars (they were actually pretty good) Colin stage diving, and bouncing around the stage like he is known for all with a huge smile on his face. Here are a few pictures from the show and my favorite song of the night.

Since the concert, I have listened to it a few times and really think the live version tells the story a bit more clearly. The Hazards of Love is a rock opera offering the listener a chance to journey in to the life of William and Margaret. This concept album holds steady with past works. You have to really listen, think and feel to understand the story. What I enjoyed is how familiar it sounds but at the same time very foreign....power chords, electric rock-n-roll, strong female vocals (thanks to my new crush Becky Stark from Lavender Diamond) and walking blues riffs partner the usual Colin folky whimsical style. Ok so that is my take on the album...

2 comments:

  1. so, as it turns out... one of the kids that went on stage was my boss's 15 year old daughter. what a small world.
    sounds like an awesome show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! That is funny. That experience was one of my favorite parts. U could not slap the smiles off the kids faces.. Not that I go around slapping kids...

    ReplyDelete