Saturday, August 29, 2009

I am something else

I have lived in my apartment building for almost 18 mths. My community is full of young people. I see them getting their mail and coming/going. FYI, my patio faces the mail building. Everyone says when I tell them I live here "That is a great place to meet young people, you prolly have a lot of friends there" ha nope. The neighbors I have ... I don't really have because I haven't actually spoken to them. I stay to myself and when I see people in the halls I will sometimes say hi and look right back down to my feet. Since I have been out of the office environment, where you have to walk with a confident smile and greet just about everyone, its all about networking. ha! I have gone back to what feels natural and although it might surprise you, I am shy around new people. Plus, the girls that I see here are pretty much the opposite of me. Well dressed ALL the time. (don't get me wrong I have my well dressed moments) Even in the workout room! I feel like a slob in my old t's and cut off sweat pants. I don't dare go to the "party" pool on the weekends. It might end up being a scene from a movie were as I walk in the pool area all the "pretty" girls turn and look at me point and start laughing. Ok so that's a bit of an extreme, you get the point. I'm different.
So today, I was coming up the stairs after taking Mazer out (just before that I worked out=gross looking in my old clothes) and out of the door, across the hallway from my door, steps my neighbor. Just last week this same guy was going up the stairs with a surf board as I was trying to go down. I just stepped aside and said "Looks like you have your hands full, go ahead." Today I thought I should introduce myself, he is my neighbor. So I say
"We seems to keep meeting like this. I'm your neighbor, Shannon. (extend hand, thanks corporate america) He laughs and says "Hi Shannon, I'm John"
Now this is a great stopping point to smile and go inside my door like most people would NOOOooooooooo not me.
I continue: This is Mazer. He looks down and says "Hi Mazer ... He got a hair cut" again good time to say "yes he did" Nope I say and this is why I am blogging about this pointless conversation "HA Yes I cut it myself. See, I thought it would be funny if I shaved his body and kept his hair on his head long, so he could look like a lion (here is my favorite line trying to save myself from realizing TMI) I have way too much free time." BAM! "I have too much free time?!" I might as well of told this perfect stranger that I can't seem to find a date, go to movies solo and sit at home most Friday nights (including last night) playing guitar, drums, drawing and doing whatever other none social thing I do. Next time I think I will keep to the "Hi" with a quick glance up and back to my shoes.

I met my neighbor John today. - The End

2 comments:

  1. hahahahahaha thats a great story!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you talking about, Galfunseeker?!? That conversation probably made that dude's day! I bet he was smiling the entire time he was making his hemp necklaces, or whatever it is hippy surfer kids do nowadays.

    ReplyDelete